Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Song for a Fifth Child...(or any child)

i received a wonderful book from a dear friend of mine "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. i loved it and recommend it completely. very lifting. she quoted part of one of my most favorite poems...can hardly read it without crying. its title is Song for a Fifth Child, but i think it could go for any, don't you? Have a read.


Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth

empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

hang out the washing and butter the bread,

sew on a button and make up a bed.


Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
 

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue

(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).


The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew

and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.

Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?

(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
 


The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

8 comments:

Chelli said...

Thank you! I needed that! What a sweet poem.

Kelli said...

Oh, that is so sweet Joni. Completely how I feel with my little Lucas! I was just squeezing him today telling him to stop growing up!

Christensen Family said...

I totally needed that today--Tessa has learned how to pull her diaper off and usually does it right before she has to poop...Then she goes and hides in a corner while I'm distracted and does her business on the floor. It is pretty easy to get bogged down with all there is to do! Great to hear from you by the way--I will email you

The Shupe Ohana said...

What a great poem! you seriously did so good at the stake enrichment, i loved that and totally felt the spirit!!

Amy G. said...

that's great joni! i've needed to do more with my kids and less with the house lately. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Joni! How are you? I LOVE this blogging thing...it is such a great way to reconnect! Your family is beautiful! Let's keep in touch! My blog is private so email me your email address at randiworkman@hotmail.com, and I'll send you an invite! Hope your doing good, you look great!

Love,
Randi Walker Workman

Anonymous said...

Joni! I'm so glad that you found me! How are you? Your royal family is absolutely beautiful! Judging from the pictures, you live in Farmington? What else is going on in your life? (Besides three little ones!) Drop me an email if you get a chance. mykolwarner@gmail.com.
Mykol

Amy G. said...

joni! it's time to update!! i know...like i'm one to talk. i finally did today and basically it's almost 4 pm and i'm still in my jammies at the computer, kids glued to the t.v., house a mess, laundry undone, no food in the house....
is it worth it? sure!